Suunto D5 USB interface

Brendan Horan brendanhoran at basstech.net
Sun Dec 15 09:02:20 CET 2019

----- On 14 Dec, 2019, at 10:07 PM, Jef Driesen jef at libdivecomputer.org wrote:

> The Suunto D5 uses USB HID instead of usb-serial. That's why you don't see a
> /dev/tty device node. It's not needed for USB HID communication. Libdivecomputer
> will talk to the USB device directly with either libusb or hidapi. Of course
> libdivecomputer needs to be compiled with one of those libraries enabled, and
> your kernel needs to have USB HID enabled as well.

Pretty sure HID is working fine in my kernel. I use the app image for Subsurface.
Unsure how that is compiled.

> You may also need an udev rule to get permission to access the device:
>
> https://github.com/libdivecomputer/libdivecomputer/blob/master/contrib/udev/libdivecomputer.rules

I've set that up now. I am still getting issues when using Subsurface.
Device node looks correct, owner/group and permissions match the rule.

How would I be able to test this via a local hand compiled libdivecomputer / test applications?

Thanks for your time,
Brendan