Suunto D5 USB interface

Jef Driesen jef at libdivecomputer.org
Sun Dec 15 17:37:52 CET 2019

On 15/12/2019 09:02, Brendan Horan wrote:
> ----- On 14 Dec, 2019, at 10:07 PM, Jef Driesen jef at libdivecomputer.org wrote:
>>
>> The Suunto D5 uses USB HID instead of usb-serial. That's why you don't see a
>> /dev/tty device node. It's not needed for USB HID communication. Libdivecomputer
>> will talk to the USB device directly with either libusb or hidapi. Of course
>> libdivecomputer needs to be compiled with one of those libraries enabled, and
>> your kernel needs to have USB HID enabled as well.
>>
> Pretty sure HID is working fine in my kernel. I use the app image for Subsurface.
> Unsure how that is compiled.

I don't know whether usb hid is enabled in the appimage or not. Or whether the
appimage can access usb hid devices.

>> You may also need an udev rule to get permission to access the device:
>>
>> https://github.com/libdivecomputer/libdivecomputer/blob/master/contrib/udev/libdivecomputer.rules
>>
> I've set that up now. I am still getting issues when using Subsurface.
> Device node looks correct, owner/group and permissions match the rule.
>
> How would I be able to test this via a local hand compiled libdivecomputer / test applications?

You can use the dctool command-line tool, which is part of the libdivecomputer
source code. It's located in the examples subdirectory.

Download with these options:

./dctool -vv -l dctool.log -f eonsteel download -o dctool.xml -t usbhid

Jef