Suunto D5 USB interface

Jef Driesen jef at libdivecomputer.org
Sat Dec 14 15:07:28 CET 2019

On 14/12/2019 09:24, Brendan Horan wrote:
>  From my understanding the Suunto D5 is supported via bluetooth.
> This commit seems to support that.
> https://github.com/libdivecomputer/libdivecomputer/commit/0dc10062ced1be609155c133b235f07595853306
>
> However I do not think the D5 is supported via USB connectivity?
> The only kernel messages I see are :
> --------------------------
> hid-generic 0003:1493:0035.0012: hiddev97,hidraw4: USB HID v1.01 Device [Suunto GURU3] on usb-0000:03:00.0-2/input0
> --------------------------
> I don't get a /dev/tty$$$ device node either.
>
> Is this a libdivecomputer limitation or the USB interface may not be supported in the Linux kernel?
> I also may not have enabled kernel support for the USB device, unsure what it actually is yet.

The Suunto D5 uses USB HID instead of usb-serial. That's why you don't see a
/dev/tty device node. It's not needed for USB HID communication. Libdivecomputer
will talk to the USB device directly with either libusb or hidapi. Of course
libdivecomputer needs to be compiled with one of those libraries enabled, and
your kernel needs to have USB HID enabled as well.

You may also need an udev rule to get permission to access the device:

https://github.com/libdivecomputer/libdivecomputer/blob/master/contrib/udev/libdivecomputer.rules

The commit you refer to also added the USB VID/PID (1493/0035) of the Suunto D5.

Jef