dctool, Shearwater Predator and macos

Henrik B A henrik at synth.no
Mon Dec 5 11:27:42 CET 2022

On Mon, Dec 5, 2022 at 10:26 AM Jef Driesen <jef at libdivecomputer.org> wrote:

> You didn't enable verbose mode (-v), so I can't see the communication in the
> above log. I looks like you're experiencing a timeout on the very first request
> that gets send to the dive computer. That means there is no response from the
> dive computer.

Here's a verbose retry. I have rebooted the computer & DC, but nothing
has changed:

$  dctool -v -l predator-download.log -f predator download -f raw -o
predator-download.raw /dev/tty.Predator
DATETIME 2022-12-05T10:19:03Z (1670235543)
VERSION 0.7.0
Opening the I/O stream (serial, /dev/tty.Predator).
INFO: Open: name=/dev/tty.Predator
Opening the device (Shearwater Predator).
INFO: Configure: baudrate=115200, databits=8, parity=0, stopbits=0,
flowcontrol=0
INFO: Timeout: value=3000
INFO: Sleep: value=300
INFO: Purge: direction=3
Registering the event handler.
Registering the cancellation handler.
Downloading the dives.
Event: progress 0.00% (0/10000)
INFO: Write: size=15, data=FF010B00350034DD000000020080C0
INFO: Read: size=0, data=
ERROR: Failed to receive the packet. [in shearwater_common.c:239
(shearwater_common_slip_read)]
ERROR: Failed to receive the response packet. [in
shearwater_common.c:358 (shearwater_common_transfer)]
ERROR: Error downloading the dives. [in dctool_download.c:228 (download)]
ERROR: Timeout

> For the Predator, under the hood downloading a memory dump or dives are exactly
> the same operations. So it's expected that if downloading a memory dump fails,
> downloading dives will fail too.

OK, thanks for the clarification.

> After a successful download, we send a disconnect command to the dive computer.
> That causes the bluetooth mode to terminate. Did you re-enabled the bluetooth
> connection on your Predator before re-trying? I don't really know when and how
> the /dev/tty.Predator device node appears on Mac, but maybe you also have to
> re-connect at the OS level, to re-create the device node as well?

On the macOS I have to manually select the Predator in the Bluetooth
settings, only then /dev/tty.Predator is created.

Anything more I should try?  Really can't understand what I did the
first time it succeeded.  Random timing issue?

Henrik