dctool, Shearwater Predator and macos

Jef Driesen jef at libdivecomputer.org
Mon Dec 5 10:25:59 CET 2022

On 5/12/2022 09:42, Henrik B A wrote:
> I'm having problems downloading dives from my Shearwater Predator, so
> I decided to try dctool:
>
> dctool -l predator-download.log -f predator download -f raw -o
> predator-download.raw /dev/tty.Predator
>
> This worked fine!  But when I try again, all subsequent tries gives me an error:
>
> DATETIME 2022-12-05T08:31:28Z (1670229088)
> VERSION 0.7.0
> Opening the I/O stream (serial, /dev/tty.Predator).
> Opening the device (Shearwater Predator).
> Registering the event handler.
> Registering the cancellation handler.
> Downloading the dives.
> Event: progress 0.00% (0/10000)
> ERROR: Failed to receive the packet. [in shearwater_common.c:239
> (shearwater_common_slip_read)]
> ERROR: Failed to receive the response packet. [in
> shearwater_common.c:358 (shearwater_common_transfer)]
> ERROR: Error downloading the dives. [in dctool_download.c:228 (download)]
> ERROR: Timeout

You didn't enable verbose mode (-v), so I can't see the communication in the
above log. I looks like you're experiencing a timeout on the very first request
that gets send to the dive computer. That means there is no response from the
dive computer.

> I've also tried xml output and dump, with the same results.  I've used
> these commands:
>
> dctool -l predator-download-xml.log -f predator download -o
> predator-download.xml /dev/tty.Predator
>
> dctool -l predator-dump.log -f predator dump -o predator-dump /dev/tty.Predator

For the Predator, under the hood downloading a memory dump or dives are exactly
the same operations. So it's expected that if downloading a memory dump fails,
downloading dives will fail too.

> What can be the issue here?
>
> I'm on macOS 12.6.1.  Predator has latest firmware (v63).  I can send
> the one working raw download if needed.

After a successful download, we send a disconnect command to the dive computer.
That causes the bluetooth mode to terminate. Did you re-enabled the bluetooth
connection on your Predator before re-trying? I don't really know when and how
the /dev/tty.Predator device node appears on Mac, but maybe you also have to
re-connect at the OS level, to re-create the device node as well?

Jef