Suunto D5 USB interface

Brendan Horan brendanhoran at basstech.net
Mon Dec 16 15:10:11 CET 2019

----- On 16 Dec, 2019, at 9:41 PM, Anton Lundin glance at acc.umu.se wrote:
> We produce some terribly bad error messages, Like:
>
> "Unable to open /dev/ttyS31 Suunto (EON Steel)" even when we're trying
> to open the hid device first. We shouldn't try the serial port anyway,
> and not include it in the error message.
> This is a quite old and annoying bug, in subsurface.

This is what made me ask the original question around the tty device.
Also my lack of understanding about the fact the watch is a HID device too.

> Brendan: Could you try to run subsurface from the command line, and
> seeing what it says there?

I start the Subsurface appImage from the command line, this is the output I get.

$ /opt/bin/subsurface -v
Subsurface v4.9.3,
built with libdivecomputer v0.7.0-devel-Subsurface-NG (ce6d9896a79afaa82641132e338f8744714c8593)
built with Qt Version 5.12.4, runtime from Qt Version 5.12.4
built with libgit2 0.26.0
"validateGL(): created OpenGLContext."
"validateGL(): obtained QOpenGLFunctions."
"validateGL(): detected OpenGL version 3.0."

File locations:

Unable to get local git directory
Cloud URL: No valid cloud credentials set.

Image filename table: /home/brendan/.subsurface/hashes
Local picture directory: /home/brendan/.subsurface/picturedata/

Starting download from  /dev/ttyUSB0
downloading only new dives
[0.008240] ERROR: Failed to claim the usb interface (LIBUSB_ERROR_BUSY). [in ../../src/usbhid.c:604 (dc_usbhid_open)]
Finishing download thread: "Unable to open /dev/ttyUSB0 Suunto (D5)"

That is it. Unless you need me to run Subsurface in a different way?
I can also go back to the libdivecomputer test tool directly after this and still get a successful connection.

Thanks for every ones time,
Brendan