libdivecomputer server migration

Jef Driesen jef at libdivecomputer.org
Sat Jan 20 13:33:00 CET 2018

On 19-01-18 16:59, Anton Lundin wrote:
> On 19 January, 2018 - Jef Driesen wrote:

>>> I'd even suggest you migrate the website to github too, and host it with
>>> github pages: https://pages.github.com/
>>>
>>> The pages looks like static html, and then they're prefect for hosting
>>> in github's infrastructure.
>>
>> That idea crossed my mind as well. But I'm afraid it doesn't work
>> for the entire site. Especially the "doc", "builds" and "releases"
>> directories are a bit problematic. I use ssh/sftp to upload files
>> there. And having to store all those binary files in a git
>> repository would be a bad idea.
>
> Releases is preferably served out of the github project directly:
> https://github.com/libdivecomputer/libdivecomputer/releases

Yes and no. The tarball from the github website are simply a snapshot from the
git repository. The release tarballs, generated with "make distcheck" contain a
lot more. Hence you don't need a full autotools setup installed to build the
code from those tarballs.

> Pre built binaries can be served the same way, both continuous builds
> and release builds.

For release builds, that should indeed work. And if we can setup continuous
integration builds, that would even be better. Because then I don't have to
build and upload manually. So that's no doubt something I want to look into.

But that's not going to work for the experimental builds. That's random stuff I
build for testing something by end-users. Those get build from code that is not
checked in anywhere. Thus always manually build and uploaded to the server.

> It would quite simple to generate the doc html to, and just
> automatically check that into a git branch and push it out. I don't
> think they change often enough that it matters.

I was thinking of generating the documentation fully automatically. With a cron
job on the server or something similar.

Jef