No p02 for Petrel (Divecan)?

"Paul-Erik Törrönen" poltsi at 777-team.org
Sun Oct 18 08:43:16 PDT 2015

> I think you misunderstood me. The universal tool is not a sniffer tool
> for capturing the communication between the shearwater desktop (SD)
> application and your petrel. It's a standalone application that will
> download the dives from your petrel.

This I understand, but...

> But unlike the SD application it does use serial communication. Hence
the need to specify the serial
> port. Does that make it more clear?

Yes, and hence it requires that the comX is actually present, no?

As I stated previously, there was no comX assigned to the Petrel when I
used the SD to download, which led me to assume that the SD does it in
some other way.

So to be clear, when I use the universal tool, I need to first configure
the Petrel Bt-device to be a serial device, then use that comX-device to
do a dump of the dives, yes?

>> I'll have a go with this next time I get my laptop near one of the
>> rEvos :-)
> Great!

Alas, I had a chance to do this just a moment ago, but with no result. I
only had about 20 minutes, so what I did was trying the Subsurface (maybe
I should really post this on Subsurface-maillist), checking the
dump-option:

Latest Subsurface from git on Linux FC 22 with Dell-laptop: The Bt is
found, paired, but when I hit download, the DC immediately switches out of
the Bt-state with an error message (abrupt command or something
therewith). No dump-file.

Latest Subsurface from git on Linux FC 22 with Dell-laptop: Instead of
using the Bt-configuration in Subsurface, configure it separately with
Blueman to use /dev/rfcomm0 -> Same result as above, no dump-file.

Subsurface 4.5 on Windows 7 with Dell-laptop: Same result as above, no
dump-file.

Subsurface 4.4.93 on Windows XP with Compal 91. Ditto

If I used the SD on the Compal XP, then it downloaded everything without a
hitch.

I will try to get one unit, or at least the Shearwater-handset borrowed
for a full day, to get into this more thoroughly.

Poltsi

--
Paul-Erik Törrönen   "When science and the Bible differ,
poltsi at 777-team.org   science has obviously misinterpreted