Patches to add basic support for the Suunto EON Steel

Linus Torvalds torvalds at linux-foundation.org
Thu Oct 30 10:17:17 PDT 2014

On Wed, Oct 29, 2014 at 5:00 PM, Artur Wroblewski <wrobell at pld-linux.org> wrote:

> The 15 tissue compartments half-times are documented in the Suunto manual.

Hmm. Interesting. I hadn't actually noticed that, but right you are.
Not that they are exhaustively documented, but the Nitrogen half-times
for the compartments are indeed there (with "halftimes are divided by
a constant factor to obtain helium halftimes")

> IMHO, there is much more value in such information than in Subsurface's
> recalculation of inert gas pressure in tissue compartment recalculation
> with Buhlmann.

I'm not sure that follows, though.. The ones we calculate are much
better documented, and at least as well-tested as the one Suunto does,
and you can actually see how changing the values and settings changes
things, and how it affects the loading during the dive - while I can
only download the saturation before/after the dive, with no logging of
it during..

That said, it would perhaps be interesting to see if we can match the
before/after values some way. But there's that magic M-value and
probably other hidden variables that depend on dynamic issues like
ascent speed, so it likely isn't nearly as simple as looking at the
profile and the beginning/ending compartment values and trying to
figure out the hidden constants.

There's some more docs from Suunto at

    http://ns.suunto.com/pdf/Suunto_RGBM.pdf

if some mathematically inclined person cares and is interested. And I
can give people profiles and tissue loading data from my 21 dives if
somebody really wants to see if they can match the data at least
superficially.

                    Linus