Patches to add basic support for the Suunto EON Steel

Linus Torvalds torvalds at linux-foundation.org
Tue Oct 28 12:38:08 PDT 2014

On Tue, Oct 28, 2014 at 12:25 PM, Dirk Hohndel <dirk at hohndel.org> wrote:

> So yes, let's figure out a sane way to hand data like that back to the
> application.

.. the email you wrote was an answer to teh email where I already told
you what my suggestion was. But you answered with the completely
unacceptable "DC_SAMPLE_VENDOR", which completely misses the point,
exactly because it is *not* defined to be strings.

Let me quote it:

 "So I think we might want to introduce an event type that literally
  gives two strings: a description and a value. And then subsurface can
  show that in an information window or something (maybe similarly to
  how we show the dive computer name - hover over the name, and get the
  dive computer "random data" fields"

So I literally suggest just "DC_SAMPLE_STRING", which comes with a
structure that has two constant strings: the "descriptor" and the
"value". Nothing else. No structure, no rules except for "strings for
human consumption".

For the battery thing, it could be

 { "Battery at start of dive", "Charge: 98%, Voltage: 4.157V" }

but it could also be things like

 { "Dive algorithm", "Suunto RGBM" }

or for things like the Uemis (if it were ever converted to libdivecomputer):

 { "Suit", "3-5mm wetsuit" }

just to give a non-EON-Steel example. The point being that most modern
dive computers have these kinds of random fields that it definitely
isn't worth trying to organize a data structure for.

And then, subsurface could certainly try to match some strings (ie
maybe we could catch that "suit" thing), but others it would just show
in a popup when you hover over the dive computer name. Or add to the
"Notes" window by default (although that would probably be annoying).
Or something like that.

             Linus