Patches to add basic support for the Suunto EON Steel

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Tue Oct 28 12:25:16 PDT 2014

On Tue, Oct 28, 2014 at 11:58:10AM -0700, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 28, 2014 at 11:42 AM, Dirk Hohndel <dirk at hohndel.org> wrote:
> >
> > Actually, dive mode and conservatism and battery voltage are all per dive,
> > not per sample. So we don't even need DC_SAMPLE_VENDOR. This should all be
> > contained in the dc_buffer_get_data(file) - so the question remains,
> > what's in that buffer?
>
> That's the raw data. It's not *useful* to subsurface, Dirk.

We already parse the raw data from other backends in a couple of cases,
just for the record.

> I can happily just say "screw libdivecomputer", and do a EON Steel
> importer inside subsurface, the way the Uemis one does.

For the record, the reason that the Uemis downloader isn't in
libdivecomputer is that Jef and I couldn't figure out a way to make that
work. The way the communication is done there is just way the hell to
broken :-(

> But I think that kind of approach is silly. I would much rather
> improve the actual libdivecomputer interfaces, and report back
> strings. NOT some kind of "raw divecomputer data".

I was asking you what the format of that data was.

You can relax, take a deep breath and stop yelling for a moment. I know
that's hard, but sometimes it actually helps the conversation.

So yes, let's figure out a sane way to hand data like that back to the
application.

/D