Patches to add basic support for the Suunto EON Steel

Linus Torvalds torvalds at linux-foundation.org
Wed Nov 5 09:05:33 PST 2014

On Wed, Nov 5, 2014 at 8:00 AM, Jef Driesen <jef at libdivecomputer.org> wrote:

> This a mainly a matter of personal preference.

That's one way of looking at it. It's an odd way.

Compact code without unnecessary syntactic overhead is generally
considered universally a good thing. Not "personal preference". Sure,
if your employer ends up giving bonuses by number of lines written,
it's a bad thing, so I guess you can call it "personal preference" at
some level, but people actually design whole programming languages on
the principle that concise representation of the problem is a good
thing.

No, C is not one of those concise languages. With great power comes
great number of lines, paraphrasing uncle Ben. C has all that
syntactic noise for doing almost everything manually and describing
the solution in sometimes very tedious detail indeed.

So conciseness is not the only - or even the primary - issue, but when
you have two solutions that are otherwise completely semantically
identical, the concise solution without unnecessary syntactic sugar is
generally considered the superior one. That is *not* some subjective
thing. That's a very objective statement.

It's also - despite all the manual work you have to do in C - how the
C language and its base runtime is designed. Compare C to contemporary
languages that did similar things, and notice how C comes from the
background of being fairly information-dense. You can use assignments
as part of expressions, you have a lot of library functions that
return redundant information because it often helps write expressions
involving them more dense etc etc. So even C - despite being a very
verbose language in requiring the programmer to specify every little
detail manually - is actually trying to be fairly dense in other ways.

Dense, information-rich code is better code.

Sure, you can take it a bit *too* far, and make it so dense that it's
unreadable (APL, traditional dense "write-only" perl code, C
obfuscation contest etc), but my examples certainly didn't do that. I
didn't try to cram things onto a single line, for example.

But I definitely stand by my point: "designing things so that they are
unnecessarily verbose" is universally considered a *bad* thing.

> This is getting even more off topic, but there is one last thing I'm just
> curious about. When you say that returning -errno is superior compared to
> returning -1 and a separate errno, then I absolutely agree. But isn't that
> somewhat contradictory with your preference for using the report_error()
> function? With the report_error() function, you can only return -1, and not
> some more descriptive errno value. Unless you also pass the errno as a
> parameter:

Correct. But if I return "-errno", I do it because I expect the
*caller* to report the error. So I expect the caller to do something
like

   if (rc < 0)
      fprintf(stderr, "Could not open file %s: %s", filename, strerror(-rc));

(the above ignores the fact that there may be several layers of
functions that just return the error code back up - only the
"top-most" caller generally does the actual error reporting, and the
"direct" caller often just returns the error number without any
commentary on it).

So that is the common interface for library routines. They return
error codes so that the callers ("the real code") can decide how - and
whether - reporting an error is appropriate at all. Maybe the caller
doesn't even consider the "error" to be an error at all - the caller
just wanted to first *try* to do something, and if that fails, it has
a different fallback. See? That's the normal thing a library would do:
not enforce any logging model at all, because not all errors should
necessarily even be logged in the first place.

So you can do two models:

 (a) return an error code that contains the error information (it is a
*negative* error, because positive or zero contains information about
the successful case)

     This is the normal C library model.

 (b) do the whole logging thing, and then just return the fact that
errors happened (again, negative error, because the non-error case
wants to return data too)

     This is obviously what you do

but doing *both* (a) and (b) is just redundant. If you log an error
message, you migth as well just say "-1". You've already done the
descriptive thing, much more so than some individual error code.

Also, quite frankly, while the whole "-errno" thing is how we do
things inside the kernel, and while I think it's the superior model,
in user space I would generally do the whole "-1" thing, just because
it's what people are more used to. That's especially true since you
would tend to have to mix your library code with *other* library code,
and the -1 model is the norm.

In the kernel, we don't have that issue. We don't use random
libraries. We _can't_ use random libraries. Even when we end up using
interfaces that *look* like standard libraries, we have to reimplement
them by hand (or rely on the compiler just doing it automatically for
us). So the kernel can use the more efficient "-errno" model without
confusion.

                               Linus