Ostc3 firmware update

Jef Driesen jef at libdivecomputer.org
Mon Mar 10 08:59:35 PDT 2014

On 2014-03-06 10:25, Anton Lundin wrote:
> I was just playing around with trying to upgrade my ostc's firmware,
> and
> the mk2 got upgraded just fine.
>
> From what i could see, there is no support for upgrading ostc3's
> firmware in libdivecomputer. I started to play around a bit and ran
> into
> problems right away.
>
> The firmware files doesn't look to be regular ihex as the ostc2 ones.
> Do anyone have any information on the fw upgrade procedure for the
> ostc3?

At the moment, the firmware update protocol and the format of the hex
files are not public. I have been talking to Heinrichs-Weikamp about
supporting OSTC3 firmware upgrades in libdivecomputer, and they're
willing to share the necessary information. So that's excellent news!

On a more personal note, I can't emphasize enough that Heinrichs-Weikamp
is a unique company among the dive computer manufacturers. Not only do
they provide public documentation on the communication protocol, but
they're also the ONLY company that even goes one step further and
delivers an open source firmware!

Jef