can't download Oceanic VT3 on linux

Jef Driesen jef at libdivecomputer.org
Mon Mar 10 06:52:37 PDT 2014

On 2014-03-10 14:18, Hamish Moffatt wrote:
> On 07/03/14 20:15, Jef Driesen wrote:
>>
>> I have also prepared a new build which slows down sending the commands
>> by waiting 100ms between the packets. I have the impression we might
>> be sending commands too fast for your device. Can you give this a try?
>>
>> wget http://www.libdivecomputer.org/builds/experimental/linux/atom2
>> chmod +x atom2
>> ./atom2 /dev/ttyUSB0
>>
> Just back from a holiday weekend including a dive. The test build runs
> well, though slowly. So far over 700 seconds, with only one error
> being:
>
> [68.234123] ERROR: Unexpected answer start byte(s). [in
> ../../source/src/oceanic_atom2.c:340 (oceanic_atom2_send)]
>
> If you want to send me a patch or tell me where to add the delay, I
> can rebuild the source and play with timing and see what works for me?

The slowness is expected. The attached patch introduces a 100ms delay
before each command. With 4096 packets (of only 16 bytes), that means a
total delay of at least 409.6 seconds. That alone is already a very good
reason not to apply this patch, especially because most users don't need
it. But it does give a good indication that the real problem is likely
something timing related. The question is of course what and where.

Something else that is worth trying is increasing the 100ms delay in the
oceanic_atom2_device_open() function. I don't really understand why, but
some interfaces seem to need some extra time between setting up the
serial port and sending the first data packet. I suspect that the OS or
driver is async and returns before the settings are actually applied,
causing us to send data before the device is ready. But I'm not really
sure about that. Anyway, adding some extra delay there isn't that much
of a problem because it's just a one time delay.

Jef