DC setting api

John Van Ostrand john at vanostrand.com
Thu Dec 18 14:43:01 PST 2014

On Thu, Dec 18, 2014 at 11:50 AM, Anton Lundin <glance at acc.umu.se> wrote:

> On 18 December, 2014 - john at vanostrand.com wrote:
>
> > ‎Is there any existing work done on an API for presenting and changing
> settings
> > to applications?
> >

> I implemented support for changing settings in OSTC, OSTC3 and Suunto
> Vyper family devices in Subsurface.
>
> The api that libdivecomputer provides for doing this is really low
> level, and you need to do quite a bit of work on the application side.
>
> In subsurface we doesn't really abstract things into something common
> for all devices, because the settings and capabilities of the devices
> have such wide differences so it doesn't really make sense. Eg. you need
> a separate UI for each device to accurately represent its capabilities.

I'm working on the configuration of Cochran computers and it has 44
configurable parameters, not including text fields for owner information.

I can see why a custom UI interface has its advantages but I don't see why
it can't be generalized to fit all devices.

What I was thinking of was a structure for each setting that defines the
setting. It would include a field label, data type, edit parameters (a
range, value list, or size restriction), a description (for help), a
grouping (for tabs), a dependency specification. Some of the tricky bits
could be function calls, like edit, or dependency.

With that kind of structure can't a UI be built on the fly to handle input?

--
John Van Ostrand
At large on sabbatical