Atomic Cobalt

Jef Driesen jefdriesen at telenet.be
Mon Dec 26 19:20:06 UTC 2011

On 12/26/2011 07:44 PM, Kurt wrote:

> I retrieved this version and it does (of course) have libusb-1.0.dll. It is advertised in the install details and I verified it in "Program Files/Subsurface".
>
> Additionally, this version kindly defaults to "COM3" for the Device.

The serial port (e.g. COM3) isn't used for the cobalt because it downloads over
USB directly. You can set this parameter to whatever you want, because it's
simply ignored.

> Unfortunately, it is not able to download either of my Atomic Aquatics Cobalts on my  system : Win7/x86. I'll try it later on my win7/64  when I get some time.  I nuked the prior installation and also rebooted.  The firmware version on the Cobalt is 1.13/1 and it continues to be accessible to the Atomic software.

Have you also switched from the "libusb0" driver to the "WinUSB" driver using
the "zadig" installer? This is explained here:

http://www.divinglog.de/english/tutorials/cobalt.php

You need the libusb0 driver for the Atomic applications and the WinUSB for
subsurface. If you say the Atomics app works, you have to switch the driver
first. And you need to switch everytime you switch between the two apps.

>Importing from my Aladin Smarts thru USB IrDA using "com3" continues to work well.

Uwatec Smarts also don't use the serial port.

> Universal -b cobalt com3 reports Error 660 "Error opening device"

That is expected, because the test applications are build without USB support.
If I would build with usb support, everyone would have to download the libusb
dll too, and that's making everything even more complicated for non-technical
people. I have access to a cobalt myself (including excellent support directly
from Atomics Aquatics!), so I can perform all testing locally, and the lack of
support in the test app isn't an issue.

Jef