Teric sample rate fail

Jef Driesen jef at libdivecomputer.org
Wed Dec 7 09:29:24 CET 2022

On 6/12/2022 23:12, Peter wrote:
> So while we are on the subject of shearwater devices. I managed to borrow a
> Teric from a friend with the goal to get it working with my freediving app on
> windows (later mac). While downloading, it immediately failed because the parser
> (shearwater_predator_parser.c) does not handler sample time less than 1 second.
> The Teric can do sample rate down to 250ms which is what I have it set to. I
> think the parser should be changed so that it can handle lower sample rates, but
> only emit samples for every second.  For freedivers having a high sample rate is
> very desirable.

I wasn't aware the sample rate can be set to less than a second. Yes, the data
format supports it, but as far as I know it wasn't possible to configure it.
That's why I didn't bother to implement the logic to handle this. But it looks
like that changed now.

Can you share a download log from that Teric, so I can have a look at the data?

> Its a bit ridiculous to fail a download because the sample rate
> is less than 1 second since its not really an error.

Strictly speaking the download doesn't fail, only the parsing. Of course as
end-user that difference doesn't matter, because you still end up without any dives.

> While we are on the
> subject. When do you plan to support lower sample rate altogether?

The plan is to change the units for the sample timestamp from seconds to
milliseconds. The code for that change is already written. But because that
change will obviously break all applications, I can't apply it now.

I intend to make a new release soon, and then apply a series of backwards
incompatible features all at once.

Jef