dc_datetime function documentation

Kristaps Dzonsons kristaps at bsd.lv
Thu Jan 12 09:17:25 PST 2017

Jef,

> Yes, I think that's better. With the caveats section and the current
> description ("might interact with the file-system in unexpected
> ways"), it sounds as if there is a problem. And that's not really
> true.

I agree: enter version 3!  (Minus the Makefile.am bits.)  This just has
the notice as a separate paragraph.

An unrelated note:  I found that sometimes you use dc_datetime_gmtime
and sometimes dc_datetime_localtime for the dc_parser_get_datetime
value.  So is it correct to say that the value always returns the
broken-down localtime?  (Specifically: the shearwater predator, suunto
eon steel, and uwatec smart computers invoke gmtime.  The uwatec
specifically notes the rationale behind this, however.)

> Isn't that obvious? A function to parse date/time will probably use the
> library's date/time functions :-)

True, but it doesn't help to be specific!  I just included a note that
it calls to the dc_datetime_gmtime or dc_datetime_localtime functions.

Best,

Kristaps