SAC Rate for Sidemount

Linus Torvalds torvalds at linux-foundation.org
Tue Apr 5 14:34:29 PDT 2016

On Tue, Apr 5, 2016 at 1:45 PM, Linus Torvalds

> Mind sending me an xml file with your dive just as a test-case, I'll
> take a look.

Ok, thanks, that shows that the failure mode wasn't quite the one I
expected - but yes, the "Info" window shows you with a SAC rate of
0.25 (very impressive!) while the "stats" page shows you with a SAC
rate of 0.50 (rather more believable).

Looking at it all, I'm not *quite* sure how to handle it. One the one
hand, the 0.25 SAC rate is clearly completely bogus, because it is
calculated as if you had only used the first cylinder, while the
actual "stats" page just looks at your overall SAC-rate using your
total gases used. So the "info" side is clearly wrong.

At the same time, the info side is *meant* to show the per-cylinder
gas use, and without gas switches, it basically has an impossible job.

I suspect the only option for us is to simply have a special case, and
notice that

 (a) you had a gas that clearly was used

 (b) you didn't have a gas switch event *to* that gas

and as a result just say that "we cannot give you per-cylinder SAC rates".

Let me see how trivial that is to do. It doesn't sound hard, it just
sounds _tedious_.

              Linus