No p02 for Petrel (Divecan)?

Jef Driesen jef at libdivecomputer.org
Mon Oct 19 01:00:59 PDT 2015

On 2015-10-18 17:43, Paul-Erik Törrönen wrote:
>> I think you misunderstood me. The universal tool is not a sniffer tool
>> for capturing the communication between the shearwater desktop (SD)
>> application and your petrel. It's a standalone application that will
>> download the dives from your petrel.
>
> This I understand, but...
>
>> But unlike the SD application it does use serial communication. Hence
>> the need to specify the serial
>> port. Does that make it more clear?
>
> Yes, and hence it requires that the comX is actually present, no?

Indeed.

> As I stated previously, there was no comX assigned to the Petrel when I
> used the SD to download, which led me to assume that the SD does it in
> some other way.

Correct. The SD application doesn't need a serial port because it's
using the native bluetooth api, and not the serial emulation.

> So to be clear, when I use the universal tool, I need to first
> configure
> the Petrel Bt-device to be a serial device, then use that comX-device
> do a dump of the dives, yes?

Also correct.

>>> I'll have a go with this next time I get my laptop near one of the
>>> rEvos :-)
>> Great!
>
> Alas, I had a chance to do this just a moment ago, but with no result.
> only had about 20 minutes, so what I did was trying the Subsurface
> (maybe
> I should really post this on Subsurface-maillist), checking the
> dump-option:
>
> Latest Subsurface from git on Linux FC 22 with Dell-laptop: The Bt is
> found, paired, but when I hit download, the DC immediately switches out
> of
> the Bt-state with an error message (abrupt command or something
> therewith). No dump-file.
>
> Latest Subsurface from git on Linux FC 22 with Dell-laptop: Instead of
> using the Bt-configuration in Subsurface, configure it separately with
> Blueman to use /dev/rfcomm0 -> Same result as above, no dump-file.
>
> Subsurface 4.5 on Windows 7 with Dell-laptop: Same result as above, no
> dump-file.
>
> Subsurface 4.4.93 on Windows XP with Compal 91. Ditto
>
> If I used the SD on the Compal XP, then it downloaded everything
> without a
> hitch.
>
> I will try to get one unit, or at least the Shearwater-handset borrowed
> for a full day, to get into this more thoroughly.

The petrel protocol doesn't support memory dumps. Libdivecomputer will
immediately fail with DC_STATUS_UNSUPPORTED. That's why I asked to run
the universal tool from the website: instead of trying to download a
memory dump it will download the dives (just like a normal application
would do), and then write each dive to a binary file. It's not exactly
the same as a memory dump, but it's good enough for investigating the
parser problem you reported.

Jef