Subsurface + Suunto Vyper Air

Linus Torvalds torvalds at linux-foundation.org
Thu May 14 09:47:53 PDT 2015

On Thu, May 14, 2015 at 8:51 AM, John Nevius <john.nevius at gmail.com> wrote:
> "in deco" shows in the 'pop-up' box that shows when you fly the cursor over
> the dive profile.  First dive of the series, so there was no prior nitrogen
>
> What is best way to share the dive profile?

You could just save that single dive as an xml file (select the
dive(s) you want to export, go to File->Export and export selected
dives as "Subsurface XML"), we'd see it from that.

That said, I don't think you need to do that. The "in deco" in your
profile info window does indeed mean that subsurface thinks we have a
deco obligation from the dive computer. So libdivecomputer gave us a
DC_SAMPLE_DECO sample that is either DC_DECO_DECOSTOP or
DC_DECO_DEEPSTOP.

And I think it's that "DC_DECO_DEEPSTOP" that confuses subsurface. I
don't think we should set in_deco because of a deepstop.

Dirk, this goes back a long time to commit e3ab1c0701fc "Update deco handling".

But fixing that probably wouldn't even fix your issue. The whole
libdivecomputer deco handling is a bit odd, and it turns out that
libdivecomputer considers a "Mandatory safety stop" to be something
that triggers "in deco" through DC_DECO_DECOSTOP, and the most likely
reason you got that was indeed that mandatory safety stop thing.

Dirk, at least for the Suunto D9, the actual "deco" event seems to be

   DC_SAMPLE_EVENT + SAMPLE_EVENT_DECOSTOP

not that "DC_SAMPLE_DECO + (DC_DECO_DECOSTOP | DC_DECO_DEEPSTOP)"

Of course, that makes no sense.  We shouldn't have to parse random
events when libdivecomputer has that "SAMPLE_DECO" thing. So arguably
this is more of a libdivecomputer issue. I do not think that suunto
deepstops or mandatory safety stops  should cause DC_SAMPLE_DECO
events.

Suunto's create those "mandatory safety stop" things fairly
aggressively. You'll get them for fast ascents etc.

Dirk, Jeff, and the libdivecomputer mailing list added to the
participants list of this mail.

                   Linus