Question about Suunto EON Steel on MacOS

Janice McLaughlin janice at moremobilesoftware.com
Sun Mar 8 12:31:23 PDT 2015

I was just looking at the Suunto Eon Steel support added and was wondering if anyone had tried it on a Mac. Specifically:

Since the EON appears to identify as a USB HID device, the oh so wonderful MacOS kernel driver will probably grab it right? Which means in suunto_eonsteel_device_open(), the call to libusb_claim_interface(eon->handle, 0) will fail. (Been there, done that). But there is no return code checking on the call so the open will continue. Is that on purpose? Or by accident? And there is no corresponding call to libusb_release_interface() in close either ....

It's obviously working fine on Linux and Windows, but I can't see how it would work on a Mac unless I'm misinterpreting what the device actually looks like from a USB point of view. I don't have one to test with but wanted to look into adding support for it. I dug around Suunto DM5 and, at least on the Mac, it seems to be using hidapi although again, since I don't actually have one in my hands ....

Thanks,
Janice