Switch to msvc 12 (VS 2013) and stop jumping hoops?

Jef Driesen jef at libdivecomputer.org
Tue Jan 6 11:15:03 PST 2015

On 30-12-14 18:56, Anton Lundin wrote:
> I know that Jef cares about msvc compatibility, and thus we are jumping
> hoops to try to keep libdivecomputer building with old msvc versions.
>
> As far as i read from the project file, its targeting msvc 9.0 aka
> VS 2008 which is quite old. I just had a chat with some friends of mine
> who works (fights) with VS on a daily basis, and according to them VS
> 2013 works quite fine, and is a pretty standard compliant c99 compiler.
>

> Is it intentionally libdivecomputer is targeting msvc 9.0 or can we
> bump
> that version to msvc 12.0 and stop (at least to lesser degree) jumping
> hoops for msvc support?

The reason why I'm using msvc 9 is because that was the current version back
than and freely available (express edition). I certainly don't mind switching to
a newer version if they have better C99 support. The only requirement on my side
is that it needs to run on Windows XP, and that might be a problem.

I'm well aware that Windows XP is discontinued, but that's what I'm currently
running in my Windows VM's. Portmon and some (older) manufacturer applications
work fine there. I'm not sure whether that's still true for more recent windows
version. So I'm a bit stuck with Windows XP for that reason.

Jef