Sentinel (and rEvo)

"Paul-Erik Törrönen" poltsi at 777-team.org
Fri Dec 4 11:27:19 PST 2015

> Sorry, I just noticed I forgot to answer your email.

No worries, my rebreather unit is in Britain to be serviced, so I haven't
had time to test against that.

In the meantime though, I've been busy trying to relearn C.

> No, libdivecomputer's api doesn't support all those fields. Depth, pO2,
> temperature, gasmix, setpoint and deco/ndl info are supported. The others
> not. I don't even know what they are (e.g. tempstick).

It would make sense to at least support 2 simultaneous gas
pressure-readings, since you are consuming both the diluent and the O2 at
the same time. Is this possible?

The tempsticks are an array of temperature sensors which are located
within the scrubber. The scrubber is the part of a rebreather where the
exhaled gas is 'scrubbed' of its CO2 by having the gas pass through a
chemical compound called sofnolime which binds by the means of a chemical
reaction the CO2. The reaction is exothermic, so you can in principle
measure how much of the scrubber is left since the reaction should move as
a front through the scrubber.

> Maybe you missed the part at the beginning? Some applications immediately
> start
> to communicate with a device as soon as it gets connected. So that happens
> without any action from the user. In such case it's best to connect the
> device,
> start capturing with portmon, and only then start the application.

Yes, the OPOS does start connecting immediately, so I have started the
portmon before starting OPOS.

Anton/Glance did remind me of just using a terminal software (such as
minicom) to see what the dive computer/rebreather sends back, this should
be pretty straigthforward since the commands are within the ASCII code
range.

> I attached the scripts to this email.

Ok, thanks. OTOH I did have some spare time on me so I also wrote my own :-)

And since I did not have the actual hardware I also looked into writing a
simulator (in Perl) for the hardware, this I did in order to understand
what the universal does.

Currently I have essentially copied the galileo-files, calling the new dc
'vms-sentinel', I've also added all the enumerators and whatnot, and got
the whole code to compile. The universal now understands when I give it
the 'sentinel' as the backend and sends the correct character for generic
info request (testing against my simulator which is bound by a virtual
null modem created by socat).

So, I think I got this insofar, and once I get the unit back, can make
more advances.

Poltsi

Paul-Erik Törrönen   poltsi at 777-team.org
+358 40 703 1231     http://poltsi.fi/