Patches to add basic support for the Suunto EON Steel

Linus Torvalds torvalds at linux-foundation.org
Tue Oct 28 13:02:07 PDT 2014

On Tue, Oct 28, 2014 at 12:44 PM, Dirk Hohndel <dirk at hohndel.org> wrote:

> Is this per sample data or per dive date? So I think this is a
> DC_FIELD_STRING in libdivecomputer nomenclature.

DC_FIELD_STRING would work, yes.

I think it would likely be but be slightly annoying as the
DC_FIELD_xyz model is driven by the application, so now the
application has to query these strings, which in turn means that you
have to either count them up-front, or use the index model (and
perhaps iterate until you get NULL's back or an error code?).

The DC_SAMPLE_xys model is nice for the kinds of things where the
divecomputer just gives a random number of entries, because that's
obviously how the samples work too.

But no, this is not a big fundamental issue, it's just a detail in the
interface. DC_FIELD_STRING is fine too.

I guess I could even convert the serial number etc to be those kinds
of things, and use this instead of the DC_FIELD_DEVINFO thing I wrote.

                      Linus