RFC: support for deco algorith and parameter fields

Artur Wroblewski wrobell at pld-linux.org
Thu Oct 16 12:20:12 PDT 2014

On Thu, Oct 16, 2014 at 7:06 PM, Dirk Hohndel <dirk at hohndel.org> wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 16, 2014 at 03:43:11PM +0000, wrob311 at gmail.com wrote:
[...]
>> Maybe the best structure would be simple list of (name, value) pairs for
>> all dive computer configration options (name being a string)?
>
> Interesting. What exactly would that include? Metric vs imperial? 12 or
> 24h? yyyy-mm-dd or mm/dd/yy? Just trying to understand how broad you take
> "all configuration options".

My experience with dive computers is quite limited of course, but I would
simply fetch values as they are. Do not interpret them as something more
meaningful than (name, value) pair, just display to the user.

Of course, you could argue that you want just to take deco model into account
or few options, but I believe once you give people one option, then they will
request more of them.

And then, as OSTC case shows with options being changed between various
versions of firmware releases, maintaining the whole thing on API level will be
simply horrible.

Regards,