setting aside SAMPLE_EVENT_xxx ranges for applications

Linus Torvalds torvalds at linux-foundation.org
Tue May 6 09:13:54 PDT 2014

On Tue, May 6, 2014 at 6:21 AM, Dirk Hohndel <dirk at hohndel.org> wrote:

> Maybe you are right - we need to rip out the libdivecomputer event model and create our own and simply populate it from the data libdivecomputer provides us.
> That way we can deal with some of the other annoyances that we have inherited from libdivecomputer as well

I'm the last to think that the libdivecomputer event model is good,
but I think translating it to some saner internal format is likely
even worse. Because then you have the "new version of libdivecomputer,
new event number, now we need to add more translation, and in the
meantime we lose data".

So I'd suggest against translating the event numbers. Add a bit to our
structure saying "this is our private event", and just make that be
the "exclusive" range.

              Linus