can't download Oceanic VT3 on linux

Hamish Moffatt hamish at cloud.net.au
Thu Mar 6 23:30:19 PST 2014

On 07/03/14 18:23, Jef Driesen wrote:
> On 2014-03-07 03:20, Hamish Moffatt wrote:
>> I'm trying to download from my VT3. I've built libdivecomputer 0.4.2
>> on Linux (64-bit) but downloading is very slow and eventually fails.
>> I've tested with both Subsurface and using the "universal" example. It
>> does retrieve some dive data ok though.
>>
>> Downloading my VT3 does work on Windows though, using Diving Log 5.0
>> (includes libdivecomputer 0.4.2, 32-bit) or the "universal" app binary
>> which I downloaded directly from the libdivecomputer.org site.
>
> I'm a bit surprised it works on Windows, but not on Linux. Because the
> code is the same, except for the low-level serial code, that might
> indicate a problem with the driver rather than the dive computer.

I wasn't able to run your pre-compiled universal binary on linux
unfortunately as it requires GLIBC_2.14 (my Debian 7/wheezy has 2.13).
I'm using the same cable on Windows and Linux, though they're different
computers.

>> Any suggestions?
>
> Does your dive computer have a low battery? It's pretty common reason
> for failing downloads. Typically the PC interface requires more power
> than during diving. Another thing is to avoid using USB hubs and
> connect directly to a USB port on the PC.

I replaced the dive computer battery a couple of weeks ago.

I've connected it directly to the front panel USB slots on the computer,
and also via the hub in my monitor. I can try directly into the back of
the PC later, but I wouldn't think that would change anything.

I forgot to add that one of the failed download attempts left the VT3
displaying "BSL" which I gather means it's in the bootloader expecting
new firmware. Seems there's some pretty serious corruption going on.

What baud rate is used? Flow control issues? Some other setting wrong by
default?

Hamish