Liquivision Xeo

Jef Driesen jef at libdivecomputer.org
Thu Feb 13 00:39:26 PST 2014

On 2014-02-12 21:40, Christian Sandrini wrote:
> I would like to contribute with the Liquivision Xeo
> (http://www.liquivision.com/xeo.php) computer. But I only have a Mac
> no Windows. Is there a portmon alternative for Mac OSX?
> Or is it maybe already in the loop?

Unfortunately I don't know any portmon alternatives for Mac OS X. The
typical solution is to run a 32bit Windows in a virtual machine (vmware,
virtualbox, etc). This also works well to workaround the limitation that
portmon only works on a 32bit Windows version.

But, when I (briefly) looked at the Liquivision Xen/Xeo in the past, it
seems they are using an ftdi usb-serial chip. But instead of the VCP
(Virtual Com Port) drivers the Liquivision application uses the D2XX
drivers, which means portmon can't capture the communication. You need a
USB capture tool instead. There are several USB capture applications
available, probably also for Mac OS X. Downside is that USB capture is a
lot more difficult to analyze than serial communication due all the USB
overhead.

Jef