Quick question before dig into this

Jef Driesen jef at libdivecomputer.org
Wed Dec 10 07:34:14 PST 2014

On 2014-12-10 15:49, John Van Ostrand wrote:
> Two friends brought over their Seiko-based DCs. One an Apeks Quantum
> and
> the other a Zeagle N2ition. The Zeagle cable was used.
>
> I tried both in Windows and Linux to import dives (subsurface) but as
> soon
> as the conversation took place the DCs switched from PC to Time mode.
> It
> occurred at the first LED flash on the cable.
>
> This looks like a protocol issue but before I dig into this I thought
> I'd
> ask and look for some advice.

Which models do you have? Details matter here. Only the Quantum X and
N2iTiON3 are officially supported by libdivecomputer (which means they
have been tested successfully at least once). If you have another model
with a similar name, then it might use a different communication
protocol. I never got any request for other models, so I simply don't
know.

The only way to tell for sure is to capture the communication.
Unfortunately the Seiko application installs a special usb only driver,
and not the normal VCP (virtual communication port) driver. Thus
capturing the serial communication isn't possible. You'll need to
capture the usb communication instead, and that means you'll also
capture the overhead of the pl2303 usb chip itself.

Do you have a libdivecomputer logfile for the failed attempts? That
might contain some useful info too.

Jef