API redesign progress

Artur Wroblewski wrobell at pld-linux.org
Tue Jun 26 00:04:04 UTC 2012

Hi Jef,

[...]

To piggyback on the following from Linus

> The app just wants to get the results.

And the result is just collection of dives.

For me, the functions like below would be more than enough[1]

- iterate over dives from a device/file or stream/array of bytes (return null
  if no more dives)
- iterate over samples from a dive (return null if no more samples)
- get dive data field value (if you feel some universal data structure is
  not possible)
- get additional dive sample data field value (assuming the basic dive sample
  is dive time and depth and that universal dive sample data structure is
  not possible)

There is need for new parser, buffer or state machine - the library should deal
with it internally.

Also, above means that there shall be no parser callbacks - if my app
needs them,
then I can deal with callbacks between iterator calls. The same for any state
my app needs... but no artificial state, which is imposed on old API users due
to callbacks being part of API.

[...]

Regards,

[1] I am skipping the obvious stuff like getting device info,
configuration, etc.