API redesign progress

Linus Torvalds torvalds at linux-foundation.org
Fri Jun 22 20:29:38 UTC 2012

On Fri, Jun 22, 2012 at 4:51 AM, Jef Driesen <jefdriesen at telenet.be> wrote:

> In a nutshell, the most important changes are:
>
>  * Introduce a namespace prefix for the high-level public api.
>  * Use common status codes and backend type.

Yup, good. That cleaned things up.

>  * Add device enumeration support.

And this is great, and I already changed my subsurface tree to use it.

>  * Add dc_device_open() and dc_parser_new() convenience functions.

Likewise.

Very good. Much better than the old interface. I've made the necessary
subsurface changes, and while I'll need to tweak it some, it already
resulted in

while actually getting a better computer list with those fewer lines of code.

I think I'll just force subsurface users to get the new
libdivecomputer source, because this is a big step forward. Even if it
isn't perhaps ready and stable yet, I much prefer this over the
release-0.1 interfaces.

I'll try to give more feedback when I've tested the basic changes a
bit more, but for now, this looks like a huge improvement.

                Linus