API redesign progress

Jef Driesen jefdriesen at telenet.be
Fri Jul 6 13:17:13 UTC 2012

On 2012-07-05 19:58, Artur Wroblewski wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 5, 2012 at 4:20 PM, Jef Driesen <jefdriesen at telenet.be>
> wrote:
> [...]
>> BTW, with the dc_sample_get_xyz() accessor functions we can extend
>> them
>> to accept a unit parameter, and return the value in the requested
>> units
>> (e.g. si, metric or imperial) directly. Although it might be a bit
>> overkill and better to leave unit conversion to the application.
>> Just a
>> thought.
>
> IMHO, stick to SI. It is a standard... Pisses off everyone, but at
> the same
> time does not make happy anyone like metric or imperial do. For me
> unit
> conversion belongs to presentation layer. Of course,  respect to
> those
> who disagree. ;)

For me, the choice is either SI or metric. Definitely no imperial
units!

The differences between SI and metric are actually quite small. It's
basically only pressure (Pascal vs bar) and temperature (Kelvin vs
Celsius) that are different. And for the pressure the difference is
nothing more than a scale factor to a more everyday magnitude. What I do
like about degrees Kelvin is that there are no negative values possible.

Jef