Ascent rate and other stored information

Jef Driesen jefdriesen at telenet.be
Mon Apr 30 13:24:08 UTC 2012

On 2012-04-27 13:00, Björn Spruck wrote:
>> Also my resources (time) are limited, so I rather prefer to satisfy
>> the majority of people with a more limited but well supported set of
>> information, than to spend huge amounts of time on features that are
>> little used.
> Nobody claims you have to it alone.
> I am willing to help restructure the lib as soon as it is somehow
> clear
> what and how it has to be changed.

Any help is appreciated!

Keep in mind that restructuring the library isn't the only part of the
problem. It will definitely take some time (and discussion) to define a
good api, but the most time consuming part lies in the reverse
engineering. Once some new piece of info is exposed through the public
api, it also needs to be implemented and tested for all 20+ backends.
That's labor-intensive manual work and hence the most time-consuming
part.

Nowadays, I think I spend about 90% of my time analyzing issues
reported by end-users and reverse engineering the data. That's basically
maintaining and bug-fixing the current code base. The time left for
adding new features and/or bigger architectural changes is limited, and
that explains why progress is relative slow in that area.

Anyway, I'm planning to finish the items on the roadmap first, to
cleanup the current codebase and get rid of all bad design decisions,
and then have a fresh look at adding new features. In the meantime
support and bug-fixing continues as usual, although I'll try to
prioritize the roadmap changes some more.

Jef