Early releases and backwards compatibility

Jef Driesen jefdriesen at telenet.be
Fri Apr 6 11:54:17 UTC 2012

Hi,

The original plan was to introduce all backwards incompatible changes
on the roadmap all at once, and only then make a first official release.
However this turns out to be very impractical and slows down the
development process. Lately I'm also receiving requests from
distribution packagers (Debian in particular) to make some real
releases.

Therefore, I propose the following intermediate strategy. We start
making early releases with version numbers 0.x.y. Whenever a backwards
incompatible change is introduced, the number x is increased. For fully
backwards compatible changes, only the number y is increased. This would
allow me to introduce new changes incrementally. I'm aware this won't be
perfect for applications, but at least you can require a specific
version, and/or support multiple versions with conditional compilation.

Once the api is declared fully stable, we move on to version 1.0.0 and
provide full backwards compatibility from there on.

Would this be an acceptable solution for you? Feedback is always
welcome!

Jef