Funny code in universal.c

Steve Boyd sboydlns at gmail.com
Tue Dec 6 13:43:06 UTC 2011

This is standard C syntax to initialize all struct fields to zero. You can
> find a nice explanation here:
>
> http://ex-parrot.com/~chris/random/initialise.html
I've been coding in C for a long time and never came across that syntax
before.  Learn something new every day.
> But it's very possible the msvc compiler doesn't support it. Getting the
> msvc compiler to work isn't straightforward. I use a few C99 features,
> which are not supported at all. The workaround I used is to build the C
> code as C++. Note that the msvc project file is provided as a convenience,
> but it's not maintained equally well as the autotools build system.
>
> The recommended build system on windows is mingw, but with some extra
> (manual) effort msvc should work too.
Overall, I'm not having too many problems with msvc and it is a lot less
hassle than installing mingw just for this.